Ayurvedic Recipe: Kale Sunflower Salad
There is a secret in preparing kale for consumption so that it isn’t bitter and this includes preparation with spices and oils. In this recipe you can add other greens such as collard greens for a flavor that enhances the sweet. For Pitta you may use coconut oil or ghee.
• 2 bunches of kale
• 1/4 cup sesame oil (Pitta types can use Grass Fed Ghee, or Organic Coconut Oil)
• 2/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds
• 2 tablespoons Braggs Aminos or Tamari sauce
• 1/2 tablespoon Vata Dosha Spice or Pitta Dosha Spice (depending on your Dosha)
• (Optional but delicious!) Bunch of organic dried cranberries
Remove all of the stems from the kale. Wash well and then chop the remaining leaves. Roast the sunflower seeds in a warm, dry pan until they have an appearance that is lightly brown then set aside. In a saucepan, warm the oil and then add the kale and saute until everything is coated with oil. Add the Tamari and sunflower seeds and stir the mixture to ensure that all is coated well.